A great rapid-fire overview of safety steps to take before heading out.
It comes at you pretty fast so here is an outline of the topics covered:
- Take a wilderness first aid/first responder course
- Check the weather before leaving
- Tell someone where you are going and when you plan to leave
- Leave contact information: at vehicle, and with someone who is not going
Also include descriptions of:
- Type of boots worn
- Type of clothes
- What truck
- The truck’s license plate
- Where you’re planning to be parked
- When you’re planning to be out
- Set up communication with regular check ins
I use my PLB for checking in when traveling in the backcountry solo.
You can learn more about Remi Warren at www.remiwarren.com